1. Entries must be entirely original and created within 2km of Padiham Town Hall, between 8am and 6pm on Saturday 11th May 2023.
2. Artists must register by 11.59pm on Sunday 23rd April 2023, have confirmed their chosen painting location and have paid the non-refundable £15 registration fee to take part.
3. Artists should report to the Event Hub at Padiham Town Hall on Saturday 11th May before commencing work. Each canvas, paper or board will be stamped at the start confirming it is blank. Primed surfaces are acceptable. Unstamped work will be excluded from the competition and exhibition. Numerous surfaces can be stamped, however only one piece of event work can be submitted for judging and subsequent exhibition.
4. Any media or style will be acceptable with the exception of photography. The maximum size of media permitted (to allow for exhibition of the work) will be 92cm x 92cm.
5. Completed work should be submitted at Padiham Town Hall by 6pm on Saturday 11th May 2024
6. A reasonable level of presentation will be expected for the subsequent exhibition. The Picture House will be offering artists discount on any frames made for the event artwork. Please note framing will not be provided free of charge for any participants including winning artists.
7. Judging will take place following the event and the announcement will be made at the Exhibition Launch event, at Picture House Gallery, 4-8 Burnley Rd, Padiham, on Saturday 18th May 2024. There will be cash prizes and artists’ materials prizes for work judged by a professional Judge / Judging Panel. There will also be a ‘People’s Choice Award’ which will be decided through social media and will be announced at the Launch event. Prize money will be paid to winning artists within 30 days of the exhibition preview.
8. Sponsors of the event may be awarded a piece of winning artwork in recognition of their sponsorship.
9. All submitted eligible work will be exhibited for sale at Picture House Gallery for 3 weeks commencing Saturday 18th May 2024. Any winning artworks which have been agreed to be donated to sponsor(s) will be exhibited but not for sale.
10. The retail price of each work exhibited will be agreed between the artist and Painting Padiham event organisers on the day of the event. Artists are asked to consider the price they would like to charge for their work before submitting it at the end of the event day. The artist will receive 50% of the agreed selling price, as is usual gallery practice.
11. By registering and taking part in the event all artist participants agree to the exhibition and sale or donation of their finished artwork as outlined in these rules.
12. All artwork included in the exhibition which is unsold and not to be donated to a sponsor is to be collected from the Picture House Gallery by the end of July 2024. It is the artists’ responsibility to collect the work, there is no delivery facility provided. At the discretion of the event organisers any uncollected work may be donated to charity or otherwise used to generate funds to support the event.
13. This is an open air event and artists must come to the event appropriately prepared for the weather conditions on the day.
14. The event organisers will make the decision as to whether the event goes ahead in the event of bad weather conditions. Should the event organisers determine that the event is to be cancelled they will use reasonable endeavours to contact participants but will not be responsible for any costs or expenses incurred as a result of cancellation.
15. Artists are personally responsible for their work and arranging their own art transit to the Event Hub as appropriate and personal liability insurance throughout the competition and exhibition period. All artist participants are responsible for their own health, safety and welfare during the event.
16. All artist participants must accept being filmed and photographed by all Painting Padiham’s media partners, the organisers and their representatives throughout the event. Images and reproductions of both artist participants and their work may be used for the reporting and promotion of the 2024 and future Painting Padiham events across all media platforms.
17. All artist participants agree to images of their completed works being used in the production of event marketing and merchandise, in whatever form. All artists accept that no fee will be paid for this use. All profits from the sale of merchandise will be retained by Painting Padiham organisers for the funding of Painting Padiham 2024 and future events.
18. By registering to participate, I, the artist, understand and agree to abide by the rules of the event. I am entering into this competition at my own risk. Painting Padiham, its organisers or representatives will not be responsible for any injury or damage to me, those with me, my belongings, or my artwork at any time during this event.
19. In the event that the People’s Choice Award is voted the same artwork as and one of the Judges 1st, 2nd or 3rd prize awards, the People’s Choice award will be deferred to the next highest voted artwork. Only one prize can be awarded per artwork.